Wednesday 3 July 2013

In Avallon, Mumbai

I'm in a staff room in Avallon school in Mumbai with palm trees outside the window, roasting heat and the sound of lively children through the door! Cat and I have had a lovely time being introduced to the school and are starting to find out when and who we will be teaching.
Yesterday I mostly shadowed a man who sings songs and dances to a backing track with the children. Or at least, I was meant to be shadowing but he asked me to teach songs in all the five classes so we had fun trying to do 'Here we go round the mulberry bush' with the dance, making a monsoon with body percussion, trying to sing 'London's Burning' in a round and other songs.
This morning I have met the teacher of classical Indian music who I will be working with in keyboard classes. His music is amazing! I hope to learn more about it. He has also asked if I will teach the children 'prayer songs' in assembley and was happy with my rendition of 'Amazing Grace'.

No comments:

Post a Comment